Regulation of Choreography Competition
August 7th –August 10th ,2017
1. 18 - 40 year old dancers or choreographers (referring to competitors born from August 1st , 1977 to July 31st , 1999).
2. The competitor’s piece can be a solo dance, a pas de deux or a pas de trios.
3. The competitor’s piece can be a ballet or contemporary piece created in various forms.
4. Jury for Preliminary Selection will select applicants, based on their application forms and videos, to participate in the competition in Beijing. Decisions of the jury will be final and without appeal.
VIDEO REQUIREMENTS FOR PRELIMINARY SELECTION
- IBCC only accepts DVD or digital video files (preferred).
applicants choose to submit video in DVD form, the following things must
be clearly written on the label or case of the DVD -
Name of applicant, Title of program, Date of recording.
- In the spirit of fair play, IBCC will NOT reveal name of applicant and date of recording under no circumstances.
- Please check the quality of both video and sound before submitting to the Jury.
- Videos should be full shot - with the full body kept in view, without zooms, without changes of angles or other special adjustments.
- Applicants must wear practice clothes in a color that is in contrast to the background.
- Videos of live performances will not be accepted.
- Tripods are recommended during shooting for stable images.
- IBCC does not accept videos with video and audio feeds separately recorded and later mixed, in case of inconsistency between images and sounds.
- No voices of the teacher are allowed in the recording.
- Please don’t turn the camera to the window while shooting during the day.
- Please turn on lights while shooting in studios with poor daylight conditions.
- Do not write price of DVD on the envelope, otherwise IBCC has to pay tax at Chinese Customs. In such case, IBCC will charge the applicant for the above-mentioned tax fees.
14. DVDs will not be returned to applicants.
The application period is from November 1st , 2016 to 30th April, 2017 (30th included). Late applications and applications with missing materials will not be accepted by IBCC. The results of Preliminary Selection will be announced at the competition website on the 31st of May ,2017 and sent to participants’ email address.
IBCC is made up of two phases:
Phase I: Preliminary Selection (based on videos)
Phase II: Semi-final and final rounds in Beijing
Phase I: Preliminary Selection
Every competitor must provide a video of his or her creation, either created for this competition or created and premiered after July 31st , 2014. Solo dance should be within 4 minutes, while pas de deux or pas de trios should be within 6 minutes.
Phase II: Competition in Beijing with two rounds
1.1.1. Every competitor must present a piece, either created for this competition or created and premiered after 31st July, 2014. Solo dance should be within 4 minutes, while pas de deux or pas de trois should be within 6 minutes.
1. 1.Every competitor must present a piece created for this competition. Solo dance should be within 4 minutes, while pas de deux or pas de trois should be within 6 minutes.
2. 2.Competitors can participate in their own choreography, or choose to invite other dancers to perform for them.
(Programs for every round should be different.)
1. The order of appearance on stage will be determined by age. Competitors must accept and follow the order
2. IBCC will provide a daily training class for all competitors and their assisting dancers.
3. If a competitor wins any award, his or her assisting dancers must continue to appear with him or her in the Awards Gala.
4. Competitors must furnish their own costumes and make-up.
5. No tinder, water, rosin or salt are allowed for use on stage. Performances in nude or body painting are also prohibited.
6. All competition performances are held before a public audience.
· MUSIC AND CHOREOGRAPHY COPYTIGHTS
1. Competitors must furnish their own musical material with theatrical acoustic standards.
2. Competitors who have passed the Preliminary Selection for the competition in Beijing must submit a copy of their music in USB drive or two CDs to IBCC during registration after their arrival in Beijing.
3. Competitors must deal with royalty issues for their music and choreography. IBCC will not be held responsible for any royalty disputes over music or choreography. Competitors must compensate for damages to IBCC caused by royalty issues, if there is any.
4. Competitors’ names, program titles, lengths of the pieces and the order in which to play them must be noted in English on the label of the music material.
5. All competitors must prepare one copy of all music materials for their rehearsals.
1. Jury of IBCC are made up of distinguished artists from the international dance community. List of the Jury will be published prior to the competition.
2. Jurors from different countries will give scores to competitors based on the code of fair play.
3. Based on a 10-point system, each juror will vote individually for each competitor after each round. The highest score and the lowest score for each competitor will be deleted during calculation.
4. Jury will judge each competitor generally based on their creativity in the program, interpretation of the music, and techniques of choreography.
5. In no circumstances shall a juror reveal the result of a jury discussion to any competitor or teacher during the competition.
6. IBCC will not publish scores given by the jury, but can arrange private meetings, if asked for, between the competitor and jury for feedback.
7. The jury reserves the right to withhold any award or to divide an award between more than one competitor, based on the results of the competition.
8. Decisions of the jury will be final and without appeal.
· AWARDS GALA
1. Competitors winning awards and their assisting dancers must appear in the Closing Ceremony performance. If a competitor or one of his or her assisting dancers is unable to perform due to personal reasons, he or she must show a valid statement accepted by IBCC.
2. Performing competitors’ programs will be selected, decided and announced by the jury.
· MEDIA AND RECORDINGS
1. IBCC owns exclusive rights to the competition and related activities, including press interviews, audio and video recordings, live broadcasting, reporting, photographs, production and distribution of presswork and audiovisual products created during the competition, opening ceremony and galas. Without the written approval of IBCC, none of the above shall be conducted by any person.
2. IBCC and any third party authorized by IBCC are entitled to arrange for competitors to attend activities like photo sessions, interviews, broadcasting, audio and video recordings.
3. Competitors release to IBCC and any third party authorized by IBCC the following rights during the competition and activities described in 2) as above:
broadcasting and public transmitting
B. Audio and video recording
C. Reproduction and distribution of audiovisual products
D. Transmitting through internet
IBCC warrants that no competitor’s image will be distorted or misused.
4. Competitors consent to IBCC and any third party authorized by IBCC in using their name, portrait, photos, voices and resumes in the following conditions and on the following products:
introduction, presentation and promotion of the competition and related
B. During production, recording, publishing, promotion and distribution of presswork and audiovisual products of the competition and related activities.
5. All the above rights mentioned in 3) and 4), which competitors release to IBCC free of any charge, are permanent and cannot be changed or limited by location and time.
6. In the case that competitors use music, choreography, and stage design copyrighted by any third party, or provide photos and resumes to IBCC which belong to any third party, competitors must obtain a thorough and complete written authorization from the royalty owner, and provide it to IBCC. Competitors warrant that such authorization will not only grant them the right to use these works during their competition, but also ensure no rights granted to IBCC or any third party authorized by IBCC in 3) and 4) are in violations of rights against the royalty owner. Otherwise, competitors must compensate IBCC for any damage caused by compromising their warrants.
7. During the competition, competitors must not accept any interview about the competition by any news agency, organization or individual not authorized by IBCC, or release to any third party any information about the competition not publicly announced by IBCC. IBCC reserves the right to disqualify competitors who violate this rule.
· TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATION
1. Competitors must cover their own transportation expenses to Beijing and return.
2. IBCC will subsidize international competitors’ international transportation according to their distance to Beijing. Competitors from Europe, North, Central and South America, Oceania, and Africa will receive subsidization of RMB 5000 Yuan, while others from Asian countries, districts like Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan of China will receive RMB 2000 Yuan. Competitors in Mainland China except for Beijing will receive within RMB 1000 Yuan. Subsidization of transportation will be paid to competitors according to Travel Itinerary after their arrival in Beijing. IBCC will not subsidize any accompanying member of the competitor’s travel group.
3. Service at airports: IBCC will arrange volunteers to provide service for competitors at airports.
4. IBCC provides all competitors free housing in rooms with twin beds and appropriate per diem from 14:00 (China Standard Time) of 5th August to 12:00 (China Standard Time) of 12th August 2017.
5. Competitors and their assisting dancers must cover their own expenses for other requirements not provided by IBCC.
6. IBCC will not provide free housing and breakfast to any other accompanying member of the competitor’s party. The above accompanying members can entrust IBCC to arrange their housing at hotels designated by IBCC. Related expenses, like travel and accommodation, are covered by accompanying members, themselves.
7. Visa: Participants selected to compete in Beijing and their assisting dancers can apply for visas to China at Chinese embassies or consulates within their countries, using the visa document provided by IBCC, and must cover their own visa fees.
Pieces qualified for the final will receive a subsidization of RMB 3000 Yuan by IBCC.
· REGISTRATION DATES
Registration must be done between 10:00 5th of August to 17:00 5th of August, 2017. Candidates who can not finish the registration on time, please inform us through email in advance.
Competitors who arrive before 14:00 (China Standard Time) of 4th August, 2017 must notify IBCC in advance to make the appropriate hotel reservations, and pay for any expenses ocurred by early arrivals.
· VENUES: NCPA will provide venues and class facilities as follows:
1. Competition Stages
NCPA Multifunction Theatre:
Floor Dimension: 16m wide x 7.2m deep
Lighting: professional standard; only basic lighting provided.
Sound: professional standard
Technician: professional technicians
2. NCPA provides class studios and dressing rooms.
3. All competitors must enter the premises with a valid security pass provided by NCPA.
· INSURANCE AND SECURITY
1. IBCC does not take responsibility for any previous injuries, chronic health conditions or stolen properties. Competitors must purchase their own insurances for accidents, disease and personal property.
2. IBCC will provide doctors and arrange hospitals to treat sudden injuries caused by the competition during service period.
3. Non-competitors are not allowed to enter the stage and wings area for safety reasons.
4. No one is allowed to take photos or make video recordings during the competition unless authorized by IBCC.
5. All competitors must carry a security pass issued by IBCC at all times during the competition.
1. Only IBCC and jury have rights to make modifications to competition rules.
2. Decisions of the jury of Preliminary Selection during phase I will be final and without appeal.
1. Any competitor must agree and follow all contents of this regulation after they sign on their application forms for the competition.
2. Resolution to any arguments should be based on the Chinese version of this regulation; IBCC holds the right of final interpretation of this regulation.
3. Any law suit related to this competition must be submitted to Chinese local courts, followed and governed by the Laws of China.